PROCEDURE FOR THE IMPORTATION OF ANIMALS INTO GUYANA
Step 1: – Request for an import permit and completion of import permit application form by the importer.
- Importers of dogs and cats are asked to submit health and vaccination records.
- First time importers of horses are asked to attend an interview and submit pedigree records.
Step 2:- Determination and granting of import permit for the particular species:
The following are considered:
- Type and Species of animal to be imported.
- Diseases status of country and Region from which animal or bird is imported.
- Whether import(s) is/are permitted from the country in question.
- Ability of the country and importer to fulfill the requirements for importation.
- The level of risk posed by the importation.
- Vaccination status of the animal i.e. (dogs, cats).
Step 3:– Preparation of permit and specifying conditions of import by the Guyana Livestock Development Authority (three (3) working days).
Signatures of approval: – Senior Veterinary Officer or Veterinary Officer so designated, Chief Executive Officer or Deputy Chief Executive Officer with his seal.
Step 4: The permit is collected by the applicant or an individual on their behalf (Valid authorization must be presented in case of latter).